Banana Muffins - a recipe for better cycling

On any ride over about 10 miles, the chances of my completing it successfully (and not spending the rest of the day in bed) are increased enormously by a banana muffin. You can find my recipe for the perfect banana muffin below.

Using a similar fuel economy calculation to a motorist, I have established the perfect MPM (Miles per Muffin) figure of approximately 17.5. I now bake in bulk and keep a large quantity of these precious fuel sources in the freezer. As I set out, I simply remove the required quantity (using the above MPM calculation) and pack them, still frozen, into my rack bag. Because they are frozen at the start of the journey they have less chance of being squashed and by the time I need to top-up my energy sources they are ready to eat.

Here is my recipe for banana muffins. Do not confuse these with something you would eat for pleasure. Think of them as a fuel more palatable than petrol and you will not be disappointed.


Banana Muffins

Ingredients

115g butter
100g brown sugar
3 bananas, mashed with enthusiasm (and a fork)
115ml milk
2 eggs from free-range hens
175g wholemeal flour
100g wheat bran
1tsp baking powder
1tsp baking soda
a pinch of salt
a couple of good handfuls of sultanas

Method

1. Pre-heat the oven to 190c/375F/Gas mark 5 and line your muffin tray

2. Put the butter and sugar in a bowl and mix vigorously, or as my mother used to say: "Batter the bejeezus out of it."

3. Add the bananas, milk and eggs, then stir.

4. Combine the dry ingredients and mix into the mixture.

5. Divide between the muffin cases and bake for about 20-25 mins. Cool in the tray for a few minutes, then turn onto a rack.

I make double that mixture to freeze.

I would say 'Enjoy', but that might not be appropriate. Better, perhaps, with a nod to their energy-giving properties, 'Endure!'



Keeping me on the saddle: a banana muffin, ready to ride. 

Comments

Popular Posts